WAMALUG: Meeting: February 3, 2001Granddad’s Hobby Shop
5260A Port Royal Road
Abe reported on the meeting in the 7226th message to the mailing list:
Granddad’s was gracious enough again to let us meet in the back room—although next time we’ll try to get them to turn up the heat!
The UnUsual Suspects: Tom brought his brother-in-law, Ed Toton (nice cloak!), and Stephen brought his little girl.
- Amazingly, there was virtually no train stuff! Nobody brought any track. Bob brought some club cars he made using the baseplates of the 4561 blue train. Tom brought two of the old classic 9v trains and his brother-in-law put one together.
- Greg brought a more refined version of his diner and an entry for the space contest that he wasn’t able to finish building in time to enter.
- Abe finally built the second model in the 9754 Dark Side Developer kit. You can select the direction of travel even when the motor runs forwards and backwards.
- Kevin built a 3 foot long oil tanker out of about half the bricks from a 3450 Statue of Liberty.
- Jeff was taking pictures of his Gundam type mecha.
- Margaret was inventorying the large 8480 space shuttle.
- Cletus had a nice little mechanic’s garage (and didn’t leave anything behind this time).
- Stephen built the 7315 Solar Explorer while his daughter played with some classic LEGO®. Stephen did not forget the monkey.
- Bob compared his maxi Mini Fig alongside with Stephen’s 3723 “official Shop at Home” version. It was amazing how close they were. They could have been twins! Bob’s was much more adjustable and had a cool “brain” under his hat.
- Christina brought her MindStorms™ robot that she had at the last meeting and Cletus kept running it back and forth.
- Brickfest was discussed (a little).
- Manassas train show was discussed (ideas for layout were proposed).
- Everyone had fun!
- I ran my first WAMALUG meeting, well, sort of ;-)
- We have a returning member, Bob Hayes, and a new member, Margaret Keys. Welcome!
- Next meeting is scheduled for Saturday, March 3rd. Most likely location is back at Granddad’s.
…back to the top of the page